Sunday, August 1, 2010

The Red Pyramid #32

32 books this year?! Wow! The crazy thing is I have two more at home already set to read and two at the library waiting to pick up. Truly, I am not spending all my time reading either, it's crazy!!

The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan was wonderful! The books target audience is about 4th grade and up, and my 5th grader loved it too. This book is the first in the Kane Chronicles which will follow Carter and Sadie Kane, children of parents who made it their life work to study Egyptian artifacts and mythology. Through the story you discover that Mom and Dad were more then just interested in Egypt as a career, they were interested as it was a part of their lives from the time they were born. Which in turn has now made it a part of their children's lives.

Dad finds himself opening a portal and allowing multiple Egyptian gods loose. Of course in the process the evil god Set captures Dad and now Carter and Sadie find themselves on an adventure to stop Set before he destroys North America. The story has many twists and turns that keep you guessing until the end. The book being based on Egyptian mythology helps you to understand their philosophy in how things were built and what their belief system taught them.

While the book was good and both Zach and I look forward to the next book in the series, I did notice that Disney was on the spine of the book. With the very remote chance that they would ever see my blog... "PLEASE FOLLOW THE BOOK IF YOU INTEND TO CREATE A MOVIE AS YOU SCREWED UP PERCY JACKSON FOR LOTS OF READERS!" Just thought I'd let them know.

(by the way, the Percy Jackson movie is good, if you don't read the book, but since Zach and I like to read...we didn't like the movie all that much!)

No comments: