Wednesday, February 3, 2016

When did they get this old?!

Just got off the phone with the Ohio BMV, scheduling my son's driver's license exam!! When did he get that old? Further more, when did I get that old?  Time sure is flying by.  I wouldn't want to change it, except to maybe slow it down just a little bit.  Too soon we'll be finalizing all the collage stuff!  It's unbelievable.

I've said often to parents of little ones when they have asked with huge eyes of concern "does it get easier?!", that unfortunately "No, it just get's different!" I suppose that's not entirely true, some things get easier.  They can get dressed, and take care of their basic needs on their own. Most of the time they can finish their homework on their own. But instead of he or she stole my toy, it's does he or she like me, and then it's my girlfriend or boyfriend hasn't texted me back today, do you think there's a problem? Things that once took a hug to fix, now take hours of pondering together. Yet, that's kind of nice too.  Especially since for the most part they are still wanting to ponder those things with me!

The one thing no matter what age the kids have been at I've found is that being there for my kids is vital to their health.  Being there for their friends is vital for their relationships.  I always wanted to be the house where the kids want to hang out at. Yes, sometimes that means there are times when I'd love quiet and instead I get teenagers. All too soon the house will be empty and I can have all the quiet I want. For now, I'll take the noise, the video games, the movies and the drama! I'm blessed to be their mom and to be able to talk to them, and guide them, to train them in the way they should go. Hoping and praying that when they are old they won't depart from it as scripture says.  I'm glad their friends/girlfriend/boyfriend, talk to me too!  If I can continue to invest in all their lives and help them to be better people I'll willingly take the time to do just that!

So, having a driver before the end of the month is just the next step in this journey God has given me.   A journey I'm blessed beyond belief to have!

No comments: