Saturday, April 10, 2010

Slacking on Book Reviews

Since my last book review post I've done quite a bit of reading.

First, I finished Night Fall the final book in the Vampire Diaries. It was interesting. It did not turn out how I expected, which is unusual as I am typically pretty good at picking the way a book will end about half way through. It was a decent book. Although, perhaps it is because I read it first, I still prefer the Twilight Series. Both books are very similar, but the Twilight series seems a bit more believable at times, if that is possible for such a fantasy type series.

Next I read the Percy Jackson and the Olympians Series. http://www.percyjacksonbooks.com/
This book series by Rick Riordan was wonderful. I started the series as my fourth grade son was reading it at school and I wanted to see what it was like. It was light hearted, adventurous and engaging. It was easier to read and understand then the Harry Potter series and definitely geared towards a younger generation. Each book builds the foundation for the next book so it would be best to read them in order. That order being Percy Jackson and the Lightening Thief, Sea of Monsters, The Titan's Curse, Battle of the Labyrinth and finally the Last Olympian. My favorite of the series was the final book. Which in all honesty has left me wanting there to be another book added to the series.

The only problem with the series is the recent movie that has come out. While it is wonderful movie on it's own, full of adventure and amazing computer graphics it has only 3 things in common with the book. First, the main character is Percy Jackson, second he is the son of Poseidon and finally he has to retrieve the Lightening Bolt. That is where the movie and the book stop being the same. I took my 4th grader to see the movie and he was so excited because he had read the book series based on a 6th grade boy. Hollywood of course had to make the movie based on a High School boy. Again, it is not that the movie is bad, we really enjoyed it. But it did make my son no longer interested in reading the books because it changed the way he visualized the characters. Thanks Hollywood!

The best advice is read all the books, enjoy them all and then see the Movie OR see the movie and think of it as just another film and not based on any book.

I believe my goal of 1 book a month is up to 10 books read so far in 2010, and I've just begun a new book called Widow's Hope by Mary Ellis. It is book one of the Miller Family series. I'm only on chapter 3, but already really enjoying the characters and especially the times where the characters speak in the actual language used by many Amish people. Come back soon to find out what I really think about the book.

No comments: