Sunday, May 30, 2010

Addicted to Reading books 18,19 and 20!

I guess I have to come clean. I'm addicted to reading. I don't know how or when it started, but when I find a book I enjoy, I can't put it down. My goal this year was to read 12 novels, that's it 12. Well, it's not even June 1st and I've read 20! 3 of which I read in the last 3 days! It's not like I'm sitting around reading either. I've weeded, trimmed bushes, done dishes, laundry...etc. I'm just finding that I'm becoming more productive in my work time so that I can take a 15 minute break to read.
I started reading what I thought was going to be book 18 two weeks ago, before realizing it was too much for me. It was good book, and I would recommend it to anyone who really likes Historical Fiction. It is by Bodie and Brock Thoene and called First Light. It is the story of Jerusalem and Jesus' arrival there. The history of what was going on at the time was fascinating and I'm sure the author checked in to Hebrew spellings of names. I couldn't read it quickly as I had to keep stopping my mind so that I could read Jerusalem, when it was spelled Yerusalem and Jesus as Yeshua. There were other examples but those are the ones that stuck out to me. The overall story was good, but considering I usually read in 15 minute increments I want to feel like I've gotten somewhere in the book.
I mentioned to Zach's teacher that I enjoy reading and was looking for a new author having read all of Karen Kingsbury. She suggested Terri Blackstock. I picked up the book Miracles at the library the next day. It is 2 novels in one, The Listener and The Gifted. It was FABULOUS! The characters were real, and the situations were ones that you felt drawn into. The stories both unfolded with Christians that had lost their passion for following Christ. They thought they were doing the right thing, but it took miracles by God to help them see that they could do more. Both stories were easy to read and enjoy. I'm going to read her Cape Refuge series next. This is a series of mysteries she has written. Can't wait!
But...before I start the Cape Refuge series I found the book Plain Jayne by Hillary Manton Lodge. I love reading about the Amish, and the simplicity of their lives. This book I stumbled upon as it was in the New Book section at our library! It too was a wonderful book. The main character Jayne Tate is a reporter who has lost her edge and is sent off on a three week vacation. She decides to story hunt instead and finds herself in Amish country. While there she learns that the life she thought she enjoyed was really not what it should be. So she begins to make changes to make her life what she wants it to be. The characters are fascinating and the book was hard to put down. Just when I thought it was wrapping up another twist was thrown in. I loved it. The next story is Simple Sara, which I'm really disappointed won't be out until September! Guess I'll just have to wait.
Until then HAPPY READING!

No comments: