Saturday, June 22, 2013

Book Review: Book 44

Have a New Husband by Friday Book 44: Have A New Husband by Friday by Dr. Kevin Leman

First of all, I don't want a new husband, and don't think I need a new husband!  I've been reading long enough to know that when you get to a book with a title like this, in truth it will explain how to be a better wife. In turn, when you are a better wife, it will seem that you have a new husband.  Again, not feeling I need that at all, Dr. Leman is a great writer with a lot of creative and great ideas, and I mainly picked it up to see how I could be a better helpmate.

What I've learned from reading this book is that I'm beyond blessed.  Phil is an amazing husband.  I could expand on that a million different ways and all I'd probably get from some people reading this is either a nod of the head or a roll of the eyes.  With that in mind I did learn that I'm not always such an amazing wife.  I don't always listen fully.  I might appear to be listening, but because I'm a woman I multitask in my brain constantly.  You could be talking to me about what you did yesterday and I'm thinking of the 10 things I need to do, the 5 things each of my kids really need to do, and the other gazillion things I'd like to do if I ever had time to do it.  By not giving my full attention to the person talking, I'm not really showing the love I want to.  It's not an easy process.  Women, by God's grace, were wired different.  So I really need to focus when I'm talking to someone else.  I also learned that sometimes we, as wives, expect our husbands to act the way our best girlfriends do.  That's not going to happen so we need to realize that and move on. Treating our husbands with respect and allowing for our differences as men and women.

The book was a good read, with a lot of ideas. I'm glad I read it, and would certainly recommend it for people who may need some help in their marriages as well as wives who just want to reflect on how they are doing.

Not sure if anyone really reads my blog, but just in case here's one last piece of advice that will change your life forever.  DON'T talk about your husband negatively to anyone, especially not in public.  We all make mistakes, do stupid stuff and irritate each other at times.  By bashing your husband in public you are being disrespectful, inconsiderate, and unloving.  I don't think my hubby is perfect, but I know for sure I am not!  If we need to point out flaws we should be pointing them out to each other, not to the world.

I would give this book 5 stars.  I will also give God continual praise for blessing me with a husband I don't deserve.  Love you Phil!

No comments: