Monday, December 30, 2013

Pinterest Idea Results- #1 Cleaning the Washing Machine

It's almost 2014 and I've decided to actually try some of the Pinterest ideas that I've collected over this last year.  Why bother pinning if I'm never going to use them right?

Idea #1 Cleaning the Washing Machine

I hate to admit, but cleaning the washing machine was never really on my list of things to do.  I mean, it's always getting washed right? Unfortunately, no, it really isn't.  I should have taken a before picture, but I was trying to get it started and amazingly enough, taking a picture slipped my mind.

For this project you need to be home for at least 4 hours, 1 pint of bleach, and 1 pint of vinegar, a sponge, towel and old toothbrush too.

Step 1: fill the washer with hot water and 1 pint ( 4 cups- I looked it up) of bleach.  Let it agitate for 1 minute then sit in the washer for 1 hour. 

Step 2: Run the largest load setting all the way through without detergent.

Step 3: Fill the washer with hot water and 1 pint of white vinegar. Let it agitate for 1 minute and then sit for 1 hour.

Step 4: While it is sitting, dip a sponge or old toothbrush into the water and scrub the lid, rim, and any other surface you can reach.  I actually pulled the agitator all the way out and scrubbed in down too.  I highly suggest waiting until the whole process is done to do that as I had trouble getting back in. Oops! Wipe dry the surface when done.

Step 5: Run the largest load setting all the way through without detergent.

Step 6: Repeat this process at least twice a year!  I already put it on my calendar to do again this summer.

It really was a simple project, and the washer looks so much better.  I haven't done any more laundry today, so I'll have to see if the clothes seem cleaner too when I do the next load.  I had everything already in the house, supply wise, so it made it easy to do on a day when I was planning on being home.

Great tip! Clean washer! Double bonus!!!



No comments: