Sunday, February 8, 2015

Book 4 Breakaway (sometimes hockey just needs to be in your life )

Breakaway by Catherine Gayle was book 4 of this new year.  It's cover caught my attention, having been a hockey mom for 9 years and a hockey wife for the past 4.  While we don't follow hockey as much as we used to, once it becomes the sport you'd most like to watch, it's hard to completely be done with it.  
While the cover caught me, the story itself was good too!  The plot revolves around Dana, a young woman who is fighting to recover who she was after being attacked in her early 20s.  She thinks she is headed towards the final steps of recovery, but in order to get there she has to ask her brother's best friend, and her life long friend, Eric for something she isn't sure she should ask him for.  She also isn't sure that he will be willing to help her, despite all the years of him telling her he'd do anything for her. 
All of those years of telling her he would be there for her could never prepare  him for what she needs  now.  Yet, turning her away could bring further pain for all of them.  On top of it his team is making a playoff run, and this is not the best time for making further commitments.  
The story will leave you intrigued as far as what will end up happening, and wanting to know more about the peripheral characters as well. While I got this book for free, I did just break down and download the next 3 books in the series on Amazon.  I'm looking forward to reading more by Catherine Gayle.  There is a bit of language that I could do without, and some scenes that could have been omitted, but overall a good romance, and filled with hockey, so that's good too!

I'd give the book 4 1/2 stars.

Up next, I'm still reading Living Well, Spending Less, I hope to finish it before the end of the week.  


My next fiction selection is
the next book in the series by Catherine Gayle


Although, at the request of my daughter I did just read the first chapter of City Of Bones.  I found it pretty disturbing, lots of talk of demons and with the word Sexy on the cover itself made me think my 12 year old doesn't need to be reading this yet.  Like I said, I did read a chapter, as well as some reviews. I want to be fair to books that are out there, but I still need to protect my children from ungodly influences as well.



No comments: