Friday, February 20, 2015

Book 8 If I Stay

Book 8 is If I Stay by Gayle Forman
My daughter's best friend lent her this book for me to preview.  I read it in about 3 hours.  It's a thought provoking book on trying to determine if the main character should stay alive, or give up the fight and join her family in death.  Mia watches her life as she is being treated, and taken care of after a horrific accident.  She's torn between knowing which path to choose and the people around her, without even knowing, guide her in her decision.  It was an interesting story concept and more original then some of the themes I've read lately.  In terms of teen fiction, I liked the fact that while implied that the main character may have had a physical relationship with her boyfriend, it was not written out for the world to read.  Was not crazy about some of the language, after all my job as Mom is to try and protect my children as long as I can from influences that aren't the best for them.  The idea of being in control of that final decision is an interesting concept.  I firmly believe, and know that my children do to, that after life is heaven when you have accepted Christ as your savior.  Having that knowledge is what gives me peace over what may happen at the end of my life.  It also gives me the ability to allow my child to read a book where that knowledge isn't taught or present, as I know she is secure in what she believes.  The story was captivating, and hard to put down as you are caught wondering until the last sentence of the book, if she will choose to stay or go.

I'd give the book 5 stars.

Next up, the sequel
Thank goodness for snow days and a chance to keep reading!!
I'm also still working on the non-fiction book Living Well, Spending Less.  About 50% done with that, but fiction is just quicker to read!

No comments: