Monday, March 7, 2011

Book #2 Reshaping It All

Reshaping it All by Candace Cameron Bure is an amazing book. Yes, I started to become interested in it simply because I followed her when she played DJ Tanner on Full House. Then I started following her on Twitter and watched how even with her busy "actress" schedule she always was talking about her family, and her beliefs. Not many Hollywood people do that. In fact, most talk only about themselves. Seeing how I've decided to make 2011 about getting back in shape and healthy it seemed like a good time to pick up her book. Which, was a reward to myself for losing my first 15lbs!
The book isn't about "look what I did" it's about look what God has allowed to happen in my life, the path He has led me on, and what I can do because of Him. It's about living the way God intended us to live. Do we all need to be a size 2, no, but we should all strive to life a life pleasing to God and the holy temple that is inside of us when we have Him in our lives. Satan wants us to look at ourselves and say "guess I might as well give up since I've been like this for so long", but God wants us to pursue Him, and in the process we will most likely crave wanting to be more then we are.
She gave recipes, and insight to what has worked for her in her battle with eating well and food. She talked about choices and how what we choose reflects back on God. Whether it is a food choice, a work choice or how we raise our kids. The book talks about nothing being forbidden in terms of food, but that we need to make the choice of what is best for our bodies. Yes, you can have the brownie in moderation, but a pan of them is not good for you. It touched on the fact that our culture is supersized. That we eat more then we should, because portions are just out of control and that we need to learn to stop when we are satisfied, not when we are full. That is truly a difficult process.
Perhaps my favorite thing I've taken away from the book is whether or not the sacrifice I make today is worth it. If it's not fine, don't sacrifice, but if taking time to work out, or eat healthy is a sacrifice I'm willing to make I might miss out, in the world's terms, on something, but I will gain so much more in God's terms. Which do I want to live by God's or the world's?
I highly recommend this book. Even if weight and working out isn't a struggle for you. Maybe there is some other area that you just need to reshape, and start fresh with.

No comments: