Sunday, April 22, 2007

Talk about sportsmanship

Just yesterday morning I was talking to my son about choosing to do the right thing when things make you angry. It's OK to get angry, frustrated, annoyed. But I reminded him that regardless there is a right and wrong way to act.

Later in the day my son, the boy who loves hockey, was watching the Detroit Red Wings take on the Calgary Flames. Talk about an object lesson being played out. Calgary is a tough team, and I would even dare to say on occasion a good team in terms of their ability to play hockey. Yet yesterday they showed that they were a team that had a lack of respect for the game as well as for other players safety. Yes, I imagine they were mad they were losing a game that was important to them. Seems to me the Wings most likely were mad the 2 games they lost in Calgary too. The difference is that teams can be expected to attack the puck, play hard, knock some players into the boards, say some words I won't repeat, and occasionally throw the gloves down and go at it. It's beyond that where the issue lies. In plays like punching a player in the face, after he caused a penalty that he was going to be sent to the box for. Not just merely punching him, but rather grabbing the back of his head, holding it still and then taking a hard swing. A swing that has sidelined that player for probably a few games. Come on! He was already being called for the clip, why go after him. Or let's talk about McLennan the goalie, brought in to rest Kiprusoff (yes I know I can't spell their names) Or, was he brought it to go after the Wings? Isn't it great that when he got sent off of the ice and out of the game his Assistant Captain smacked him on the head as if to say good job! Now there is some great sportsmanship! Or their Captain skating down the ice with Schneider not even by the puck and hitting him with the end of his stick and cross checking him, just "to keep the anger going in the game" as I believe he was quoted as saying. Well isn't he just the player I want my son to look up to as he follows hockey.

Now, I'm not saying the Wings are perfect, and yes they do get angry during games. They have thrown their share of punches over the seasons/years. The biggest difference is that we have players that do know when to walk away. I'm just going to go out on a limb and say that Schneider, Franzen and Draper and Lebda were more then a bit ticked about the hits for no apparent reason put on them. But they had the ability to take their anger and walk away. The game was already won, with one more to go. They can take the energy and walk away from the fight.

And as a Mom who has a son who is growing up wanting to be a hockey player I say "Thank you Wings! Not only for this last game, but for other times when you have known that the C or A or just simply the Wings crest on your chest meant 'I stand up for a game I love and I respect the game I play.' Thank you for having players that, while not perfect, are men that I can point my son to look at in terms of skill and response on the ice. Thank you for having leadership that makes it possible to say to Zach you don't have to be a goon to lead. You can lead with respect as Yzerman did for years and as Lidstrom is doing now. Thank you for knowing that their are boys watching you, and that the choices you make on the ice do make a difference to not only the game that you play but the boys who will follow in your footsteps"

So, what will happen tonight? Will the leadership of Calgary stand up and take the responsibility they should to say what we did is wrong.? Will Toronto dish out penalites and fines and possibly even suspensions for reckless actions. I doubt it.

But, regardless of the outcome of the game tonight I know that while tempers may flair the Wings will leave the ice with their fans being thankful that they truly love and respect the game they play. And while they may initiate a fight or too, yes I realize it's a part of hockey, they won't be the players purposely going after another player to "keep the anger going".
So for that this hockey Mom thanks you.

Just incase you wanted to know McLennan was suspended for the next 6 games. But NOTHING was done to Captain Iginla for his incredible show of sportsmanship. Wouldn't want to punish someone for leading in the wrong direction now would we?

No comments: