Wednesday, May 23, 2007

I think It's magic!

It's been almost 2 weeks since I last had a chance to post anything. Funny how time just keeps trucking right along. Sometimes I feel like I blink and a whole month, whole year has passed by. What a busy 2 weeks it has been. Perhaps a brief recap is needed as I sit here with my calendar open.
Of course there was Mother's Day. A day to spend relaxing and being pampered. My 7 year old had the right idea. He wanted so badly to surprise me with breakfast in bed so he of course started talking about it the night before. The funny thing is I was the one he was talking too. I gently reminded him that I really don't like eggs all that much and that it's the thought that counts, and I briefly mentioned how the toaster worked. That night after he went to bed I even refilled my water bottle and left in the fridge for him. Later in the evening Phil came home having a migraine and sick. He'd been out with a friend and they had to come home early as he had gotten sick while they were out. He thought it would be best to sleep downstairs in case he got sick again, and didn't want to keep me up. After almost 11 years of marriage he knows that once I'm awake at night, I don't usually get back to sleep very well. Anyway, off he went to sleep and then I proceeded to wake up every time our daughter coughed as I had this new fear that she would start throwing up. Finally, about 4 am I fell asleep. At 6:20 this sweet little boy snuck into my room with toast and a bottle of water on the lid to my mixing bowl as he couldn't find a plate. It was the sweetest thing in the world! Actually, he orchestrated all the sweet moments of the day as it was his idea that we also go out to lunch later. The rest of the day was spent taking a nap and getting ready for the next day...our daughters 5th birthday!
So day 2 Katie's birthday! She had a great day which included pancakes as requested, a morning at school and a party with 8 of her friends at lunch. Followed by gifts with Grandparents (my parents) and then off to her brother's hockey game. At the hockey game, which he scored a goal and had 2 assists at, her favorite babysitter showed up to surprise her and watch Zach play. Then we headed home for cake and bed.
The rest of a week was a blur of catching up on things, a Get Together for Creative Memories, a workshop for Creative Memories, and the entire family coming in for the weekend.
What a weekend it was, Katie performed in 2 dance shows as a cute ballerina. She did great and had a lot of fun. And as important as that was, Zach made a bigger step in getting baptized. He had accepted Jesus as his personal Savior when he was 3, but now after attending new life classes was ready to make a public confession of his belief. So he was baptized on Sunday morning. What a privilege it was to watch him make that step.
Later on Sunday we realized that he had come down with Fifth disease/slap face virus. Nothing dull around here. So...now it's Wednesday and this week of course has included yet another array of events including Field Day at Zach's school, and a field trip for him. And our biggest event since Sunday...our baby's Preschool Graduation!
Where have the last 5 years of for that matter 7 years gone? It must be magic. That is the only explanation that makes sense. You hold them in your arms for a brief moment and then they are off on the big yellow bus for a day away from you. I'm sure all too soon I'll be saying they are even further away. Treasure the days is what Moms always told me, they pass to fast. Now I'm on the end of the days that have past. The oohs an ahhs as they learn to walk, talk. I'm onto homework and friends over to play. So, when my oldest needs that one more kiss at night, I no longer get frustrated thinking "gosh, I wish he could go to bed with only one kiss and hug", no instead I'm hugging and kissing him realizing that in just a very short time he'll say he doesn't need to be tucked in. It must be magic, yes it is but hopefully some of the time I can still play the role of fairy godmother and keep some of the magic for myself!

No comments: