Friday, May 9, 2008

Did you know?!

I've spent the last 2 days volunteering up at my children's school. They were doing a program called COSI on wheels, What's Wild! It was a really neat program, that the kids really liked. They came in for an assembly where the leader spoke to them about animals in the wild, and what they need to survive, and how we control population by fishing, and animal rescue. Then the students broke up into groups and travelled down to the various stations throughout the room set up to explore. I sat for most of the time at the antler and horn table. I know things about deer now that I never knew before.

Did you know that the volunteers that were up at the program were the same ones I see at almost every event the school needs help with. Why is that? We have 975 students at our elementary school. Why is it that the same 20 parents show up for everything?! It baffles me how parents talk about being a part of their children's lives, but then are too busy to get involved. I know the majority work full time, but what about the ones that aren't working. Or the ones like me who work from home and certainly could find a way to come up for an hour.

I will continue to help whether the others do or not. It's nice to be a part of what is going on up at school. It's fun to know who is in your child's class and for them to recognize you as so and so's Mom. The look on my children's faces when they see me helping out is another reason I won't stop doing so. Just the same, there will always be the wonder of why so few others seem to be available for anything.

No comments: