Sunday, January 3, 2010

Time to Read- Book Review

Trying to keep my brain fresh this year so I've decided that I'd like to read 1 novel a month, or more if possible. At my sisters urging last summer I read the Twilight series and I have to say I was surprised, but I did really enjoy it. I'm not a vampire junkie now, but once again was discussing with my sister that I needed something to read and she suggested the Vampire Diaries.

The Vampire Diaries were written by L.J. Smith and although I didn't check it out for myself, my sister told me they were written prior to the Twilight series. So far I've read 2 of the books, The Awakening, and The Struggle (already plus 2 on novels and it's only the 3rd! Although I did start the first one on the 29th) The book is about a high school girl who falls for a Vampire boy. Where did I read that before? The fact that this was written first is kind of weird because my mind kept comparing it to Twilight not the other way around. Anyway, the first 2 books were quick reads and pretty good. It was more of a mystery type book as there is of course murder and the characters in the book need to figure out who did it. There is a lot more super powers, and superstitious type things in these books. The action comes more to life then the characters. The first and second book both seem to end abruptly, but that is probably because the author knew they were writing more books. I would recommend them as a casual, quick read that you don't want to think much about. If you have to pick between the 2 series Vampire Diaries or Twilight I, at this point would pick the latter. I've still got to more books in the Vampire Diaries to go, and will probably read them, but overall I think the Twilight books were better.

No comments: