Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Homemakers Challenge Day 5 (31 Days to Clean)

Today's topic Priorities!
That's one of the things in life that can so easily get out of whack. I try to have at least a mental list of my priorities, God, Husband, Children, Friends/Family, Work, ...myself. Yet so often one priority tries to take over the top three and then you wind up stressed and grumpy. The question is why does that happen. I think for me the answer is I have a hard time saying no to other things, as I don't want to let anyone down. The truth is though when we say yes to things sometimes it means others aren't getting the opportunity to say yes and we are letting family down by being over committed. Last night was a good example. I was asked to go to a PTA district meeting as I'm on the PTA board at our school. We had nothing on the calendar so I said yes, don't want the other PTA moms to think I'm not doing my share, however Katie really needs one on one time. She thrives on quality time and feels unloved, and not cared for when she doesn't get it. Tonight I have to be gone from 5:15 to bedtime, tomorrow night I have an obligation as well and Friday she and I are going somewhere with a friend and her daughter, but that won't be alone time. Solution, I emailed and cancelled out of the PTA meeting. While PTA is a good thing, the best thing for my daughter was for me to be home, to bake cookies with her, play a game, supervise homework and have time to read. By the time she went to bed she was in her snuggley, you're the best mom, mood. Which if I had gone to the PTA meeting she wouldn't have been in, and I would have missed out on a great opportunity to speak words of encouragement to her, and have quality time with her. So glad I stopped and figured out what mattered.
It's a work in progress though, so what is the next step? Each day finding time to spend with Jesus first will help focus and get me on the right track. Also, getting into a routine so that I can get as much done on days I don't get called into work as possible is essential for our families well being. I'm not perfect, but I'm going to run the race God has called for me to run, even if it is at a turtles pace.

Martha's challenge for the day: cleaning the kitchen window treatments and windows. After yesterdays miracle work on the stove, today will seem like a piece of cake.

No comments: