Sunday, January 20, 2013

Book Review: Book 7

Book 7:
Wish You Were Eyre (Mother Daughter Book Club)
The Mother Daughter Book Club Wish You Were Eyre by Heather Vogel Frederick
 
I stumbled upon this series of books last year when I was looking for a way to get my daughter to be more interested in reading. As it happened she wasn't all that interested in starting this series.  Not because the books didn't appeal to her, but rather because she found herself hooked on a different series shortly after I started reading these books.  I read the other 5 in 2012, and found them to be addictive.  The books are based on a group of Mothers who decide to start a book club with their daughters. A club that at the beginning the daughters really aren't interested in. These middle school age girls aren't all friends, and certainly don't want to be friends. Through the series though a friendship is developed during interesting circumstances, and soon these girls find themselves to be true friends.  They also find themselves reading and learning about authors and seeing life through the eyes of the characters they are reading about.
 
In this latest adventure, the girls are reading Jane Eyre and learning about the life of Charlotte Bronte. They realize that Jane took bold steps in her life in the book Jane Eyre, and that sometimes you have to, as the girls put it "get your Jane on" and be bold enough to speak up for what you are feeling and thinking.  Not always an easy task for teenagers, or adults for that matter.
 
 
I know this book is geared towards the teen market, but I found the books to be enjoyable as well.  The characters were real, people you could truly find yourself meeting in schools across the world.  I would recommend these books for Mothers as well as Daughters.  I even found myself reading the books that were read in the book.  Some of which I haven't read since I was a teen, and others that I have never read before.  I'm pretty sure I will be encouraging my daughter to read these in the future. 
 
While this book is available on Kindle, I borrowed it from the library.
 
I'm giving this book 5 stars!  




No comments: