Sunday, January 13, 2013

Quick Grocery Shopping Tips

Organization is something I haven't always had a good sense of control over. Trust me if you asked my Mom, my room was never clean enough or organized enough. I was for a long time a person who would tell you, "Don't touch it, I know exactly what pile it is in!" I'm really not sure what changed, other that getting addicted to organizational books, and finding that I needed to take control of my time, or it would get away from me.

Grocery shopping is one of those necessary evils.  I haven't met too many people who really enjoy going grocery shopping.  I think some of the issue is, it takes time to make a list, gather the groceries, remember the coupons and then load them from the cart to the belt, from the belt to the cart and back to the car.  Then to top it off, you have put them away.  I have found a few tricks in the last few years that really help with all of those issues.

First, let's start with the list.  In order to make the list, at least for me, I have to have menus established. I need to know what I'm planning on cooking and what ingredients I'm going to need. I discovered http://saymmm.com/.  This site allows you to plan a month, a day, a week.  There is an area where you can save links to create a recipe database, which if you are using Pintrest is wonderful! You can also create your grocery list on this site, however I don't use that feature.  It typically takes me about 15 minutes to plan a weeks worth of menus.  While planning menus I keep an eye on my google calendar.  This allows me to realize which nights we are going to need quick meals, and which nights I have more time to prepare.  We eat dinner together.  I know families find this hard, but we have made it work.  Some nights it means eating earlier some times later, but this is family time and with very few exceptions we make it happen.

Once menus are planned I go to http://www.ourgroceries.com , to enter my list.  I look through my menus and enter what I need to get.  Ourgroceries,  allows you to make multiple lists. We have a Target list, a grocery list, a Home Depot list, and I've also done school supplies, or trip lists on this too.  I love that I can access it on a computer, and type things in quickly, but also can fully access it on my phone.  In addition once I enter it, the item appears not only on my phone, but Phil's so if one of us ends up at a store we can look at the list, pick up the items and cross them off the list.

Once I finish entering the items I double check the pantry, fridge and freezer and cross off anything I added that we still have. From there it is off to the store.  I keep my coupon binder in my van, as well as my reusable shopping bags. So once at the store I simply grab both and head inside.

When I get to the checkout line I have discovered that I can quickly organize the groceries on the belt with my shopping bags. I put a bag down, then put the items I want in it behind it. I continue this process with all the items in my cart.  I organize them by what is going in my kitchen, outside fridge, or pantry. By having my groceries packed this way, I save time when I get home.  The reusable grocery bags also stand up better in the car, so my groceries are safer then when they were in the plastic bags.

Once at home I simply carry the bag to the area it was packed for, put the items away, fold the bags and stick them back in my car. I fold them, then stick them in one bag that I hang from the back seat rest.

Usually, the whole process from start to finish only takes about 90 minutes.  Menus/List/Store/Put away. 

Hope these tips help!

No comments: