Monday, January 21, 2013

January Organization Challange: Organizing Papers Week 3 Organizing Papers (Inspiration)

This week, or last week as the case is at this moment, was about organizing the papers that we collect because they inspire us in some way.  These papers come from magazines, or websites that we've printed off information for.  While the challenge suggests using binders, my amount of inspirational papers don't take up that much space. I simply have a file folder in my "misc." category in my file drawer labeled magazine clippings.  If something in a magazine jumps out at me, I pull it out and stick it in there.  Occasionally, I go through this file and see if I'm still feeling inspired by it.

I also use pinterst http://pinterest.com/kathrandolph/ Feel free to follow me.  I think, if nothing else this is a great way to organize all those great ideas without having piles of physical paper stacking up on you in your home.  Periodically, I look at my boards and delete, or rearrange as I feel necessary. 

For recipes I use a website called http://saymmm.com/ you can copy recipes from pinterest there as well as from other sites.  You can also type in recipes, which means you really don't need to rip them out of your magazines, just take a minute or two to type them in. This site is also great for menu planning!

I also have a accordion file where I keep ticket stubs, or programs that I might want to use for scrapbooking purposes.  The file is organized by topic, school, sports etc, as well as months for things that would only go in our family albums. I really try to use the rule of thumb of "only touch it once" for all paper types.  Touch it once from the mailbox to the office, or from the school music event to the file for programs.  This way things stay organized without the pile up before it gets to it's final destination.

My biggest suggestion for this week's challenge is only save what you really need.  You don't need the whole magazine, if you are only interested in one article.  You can always scan and keep the article on your computer in a file and then pass the magazine onto a friend, or simply rip out the article and recycle the rest. 

Happy Organization!!

No comments: