Monday, January 28, 2013

January Organization Challange: Organizing Papers Week 5: Organizing Children's Papers and Paint Swatches

The month is almost over, which seems really hard to believe. The older I get the faster the time seems to slip away.  I feel pretty good about the organization that has taken place this month.  Some of that comes from the fact that I already have some paper organization systems in place, which has led me to not have too much "organizing paper" homework.

Organizing Children's papers certainly can be a chore, considering how much paper they use.  In fact, if I had more time in my life I'd probably start a campaign to get all schools to give kids Ipad's do do all their work on so as to stop the huge about of paper that is copied and then thrown out in some way after it has been used.  Yet, since I don't have that kind of time, I use the recycling bin at our house faithfully with kids papers.

Once again, the challenge organizer has some great tips for you to use on her blog about organizing Children's papers. 
http://delightfulorder.blogspot.com/2013/01/january-challenge-organizing-papers_25.html#

Since I already have a plan in place here is what I do:
1. Birth certificates, SS cards, Passports are kept in a fire safe box
2. In my desk I keep a file marked with both of my kids names for papers that I need access too on a fairly regular basis. For example: shot record, current school schedule, my copy of any Dr notes that have been sent to school, current sports card information
3. In my kitchen I also have a file for each child. When they bring papers home from school they go in that file for about a month. That way I can make sure that their teacher has logged the grade.  Sometimes grades get missed and it's helpful to have that information.
4. At the end of the month those papers get sorted either into the recycling bin or into their papers to keep box which I keep on a shelf in my laundry room for easy access.
5. Once a year we go back through the papers to keep box to see if the papers in there are really ones that after a year we still care about.
6. I have a clip for each child on the side of the refrigerator for important papers that we need to refer to often.  Current newsletter, HW assignment information, etc. I go through those monthly too and recycle what we are done with.


Children's Art Work is a whole different beast of it's own. It gradually decreases, which is a little bit sad when you realize how much they've grown up.  I used to hang it all on a closet door and once a month take a picture of it.  I'd put the picture in their School Year's scrapbook, and then keep only those things that were really important to me.  As the art started to decrease I have framed, with Target frames, artwork from each of my kids that they were really proud of and have it hanging in various places in the house, as our home's art. 

I do scrapbook their school years, in their own albums so I have a file in my office, scrapbook area for school programs and ticket stubs or fliers that I may want for the album. I scrapbook their school year, each year, in June when school is over for the year.  It's a good way to be able to put all of the information together at one time. 

The big thing with children's paperwork, or any paperwork for that matter is pitch/recycle what you don't need. You really don't need to keep every spelling test, or math paper your child has ever completed.


Organizing Paint Swatches is something I haven't thought much about, however sounds like a good idea.  I don't really have any I need to organize at the moment, but do plan on adding a file folder to my desk labeled house information where I will place information about colors for the home, so should I need to purchase paint, or other items I will be able to access it.  I plan on seeing how the file folder works for me, before I consider purchasing a binder.

No comments: