Friday, February 28, 2014

365 Ways to Organize Everything by Emilie Barnes and Sheri Torelli

 365 Ways to Organize Everything by Emilie Barnes and Sheri Torelli

I became a fan of Emilie Barnes about 10 years ago when I read her book The 15 Minute Organizer. In that book Emilie gave great tips on how to get things organized throughout your house and life by spending 15 minutes at a time doing it.  I'd say this philosophy is one that made me realize I can accomplish things each day, as well as one I've used not only for household jobs but also for getting scrapbooks put together. It's a philosophy that I've taught as a Creative Memories consultant and one that I also shared with many Moms groups when speaking on Organization.  Knowing how much I liked her first book, I was sure this book would also be a favorite so I did purchase this one.  I believe it was a discounted price, although I can't remember what that price was.

This book, was a bit deceiving. It did have great tips.  I've highlighted many passages, some of which I'll share in a moment.  What it didn't have was a calendar with an idea for each day. Which reading the cover made me think it would.  I suppose that sounds silly, to go off of the cover and expect a tip for each day, but other books I've read with a similar title were set up that way, so I figured this would be as well.  That being said, the book was worth the read, and did have some good suggestions.

Some of them are:

"Set aside a specific time each day you can devote to planning of the household"

"When you purchase something new, something old has to go"

"View each new season as a chance to do some pruning in your closet"

"After wiping clean your wastebaskets, give the inside bottom a quick coat of floor wax. This will prevent trash from sticking to the bottom"

"When you finish a box of Kleenex, fill it with your plastic grocery bags from the market. When full, place it in your trunk"

These are just a few of the many things I did highlight.  Emilie and Sheri have a great writing style. The book was well organized, and will be useful to refer back to for the other tips that I highlighted. I would definitely recommend this book to someone just trying to figure out ways to get and stay organized.

I give this book 4.5 stars.  Might not have been set up how I thought it would be, but just the same was a great read!

No comments: