Friday, September 21, 2007

Too Much?!?

More and more I find myself wondering and praying about the fact that we are living in a generation of too much. Too much stuff, too much to do, too much email, too many voice mails, too many activities. The hard part is cutting back on all of it.

I think many of the things that we as a family are involved in are good things. We have been blessed with a wonderful house, and having an older nephew and niece our kids have been blessed with wonderful toys, books and clothes. Even there though I'm finding that the kids don't play with, read or wear 1/2 of what they have. I think Oct is going to be clean the closets month.

Then I look at the calendar and think, wow! Our son is in 1 activity. I know the stories of how much time travel hockey takes. Truth is it does. It's a commitment we made, one that we'll follow through on. Just the same I look at his schedule and think, how in the world are other families doing this and something else.

It was simpler when we were kids, maybe that is a good thing. We went to school, we came home, we played, we maybe went to dance class, we went to bed. Simple. Now it's one to hockey, one to dance, dinner quick as a family before the activities and then touch base on the day at 9 pm when the kids have finally gotten to bed.

I don't know what the answer is. I do know that our commitment to limiting our children's activities will stand. I occasionally feel guilty about them "missing out" on the other things available. Enough of that! They will be fine experiencing the things that they love and not all that is out there. Our family will be happier, and lately we've found white spaces on the calendar and it's a happy thought to think that there is Nothing that we have to do during one of those white space days.

Looking forward to more white space days ahead!

No comments: