Tuesday, September 23, 2008

A System is Essential

There are so many things to do each day. Laundry, dishes, homework and the list goes on and on. The biggest thing I have learned is that it is vital to have a system. I have found that having a few main chores that you get done everyday allows me to focus on what needs to be done, and find time for other things as well. Not only that but it keeps me from going crazy trying to get it all done in one day.
My system is simple really. I keep a notebook of things that I wish would get done around the house. Projects that range from repaint bathroom to weed the backyard. Each day I try to accomplish at least one job from this notebook. Sometimes I get more done sometimes less, but crossing off anything always feels good. Not only that but by keeping a notebook on a day that I might have planned on outdoor job and it's raining I can quickly find something else to do inside. I even list things like finish a month in my photo album. Fun jobs should count too!

I also have a list of chores hanging on my fridge. This chore list allows me to keep track of what
the kids are suppose to be helping with at a glance. They have their own separate chore lists on the doors of their rooms as well. I keep in mind which days are busiest at our home and schedule less chores on those days. Knowing what the kids are suppose to do has made it easier for me not to just do it for them. Included on this list are my chores, laundry, change towels, clean bathrooms, grocery shop etc. That way I know what I am trying to accomplish around the house on a daily basis.

There are still many days that it doesn't all get done. Life happens, kids get sick, extra hockey and cheer leading practices end up on the calendar and things happen. Staying organized is the one way I have found to fight the battle. It's my system and honestly if I didn't have a system and a list nothing would probably get done.

No comments: