Tuesday, August 28, 2007

An Empty Nest

Today our littlest robin climbed aboard the big yellow bus and rode off to school. Seems so strange that she is old enough to go to kindergarten. Amazing how quickly 5 years can pass. Her backpack hung way down her bag, even with the straps tightly fastened. She seems so tiny but off she went.

Two years ago I cried as her brother boarded the bus. I was in shock that our first born had grown up so fast. Today was different. I'm a little sad that she won't be around the house any more. And the house does seem strangely quiet. In fact, I think I can hear the crickets outside. Just the same, watching her and the neighbor girl jump up and down with excitement as the bus approached I know she is ready, and I am ready too. You can't hold on to them forever, so now the goal will be to hold on to them in the time that they are at home. To make the most of the time I have with them, and enjoy every second they are with me.

What to do now is the next question. The list is endless. It's only the beginning of the day, and I've already had time to go for a walk, come back and take the dog for a short walk. Read my bible, make a business call and check email. The biggest challenge I'm facing is how not to get over involved in everything that is available just because I'm home. I own my own business and I need to spend some time working on that. It's an exciting adventure just waiting to be explored.

Today's mission- 10 business calls, placing my order, working on reorganizing my files for work, 2 calls for church ministry, and straighting up Katie's bedroom so she can keep it clean. Of course that's after I run up to the school...they honestly need some help with Kindergarten lunch time.

No comments: