Monday, August 6, 2007

I think I just blinked!

Well it is now August 6th. Quite a bit of time has past since my last post. I was excited about what was going to get accomplished this summer. I had these great dreams, and plans. Many of them did get accomplished and many, well many just fell to the wayside as I tried to focus on my kids and keeping my home and buisness running smoothly. I read a poem once called Excuse This House. The author is unknown, but I found it in Keeping It Simple for Busy Women by Emilee Barnes.

Excuse This House- author unknown
Some houses try to hide the fact that childlren live there.
Ours boasts of it quite openly. The signs are everywhere.
For smears are on the windows, little smudges on the doors;
I should appologize I guess-for toys strewn on the floor.
But I sat down with the children-and we played and laughed and read.
And if the doorbell doesn't shine, their eyes will shine instead.
For when at times I'm forced to choose the one job or the other,
I want to be a housewife-but first I'll be a mother.

I guess that speaks to how things have passed between May and August. There have been plently of times that I could have sat down and ignored the children. Plenty of times to tell them to go play, or watch tv. Sometimes I did do that, as owning my own buisness means there are certain things that have to get done. There was still laundry and dishes and other household things that had to be finished. Yet, when asked to choose to organize a closet or take care of jobs that could honestly wait until tomorrow I choose the waiting until tomorrow.

In just 3 short weeks the kids will be back in school. This year both of them will board the big yellow bus and be off for a day of learning. I'm partially excited to think of all that will get done. Then the thoughts of not being able to stop and read, or cuddle longer in bed come and I realize how precious this summer and these moments need to be. So...if the windows don't get cleaned, and some paper work sits on my desk waiting to be filed that will be OK. Until then I want to focus on teaching my youngest how to ride her bike, and finding time to go fishing or bike riding with my oldest.

Enjoy the next 3 weeks!!! Each moment is a memory waiting to happen, and housework and paperwork will be there again the next day anyway!

No comments: